Sunday, October 19, 2008

Secret Lovers

Ahhhhh, Fall! The time of year that we look back, reminisce and think about the good old days!

The other night I was at the local Holiday/Chevron/Union 66 (if someone out there knows exactly what the gas stations' name is, please! DO TELL!). Anyhooo...getting gas. Mr. Wonderful was home feeling yucky and longing for a Jamba Juice. I, being the most fantastic wife ever, was on an errand of love for him. But I needed gas first.

I was filling up Black Beauty when all of the sudden a flame of red hair blew by. I said to myself, "Boy, if I didn't know better I would think that was a boy from my youth!" When suddenly I heard, "If I didn't know any better I would think that was Minky!" Us redheads, we never forget other redheads...we have to stick together.

We exchanged quick "Hi! How are you's?" and were on our respective ways.

We were not secret lovers. It does remind me, however, of the world being a small place and how facebook is making it smaller by the minute. Take me for example...I have almost 100 friends! Be still my heart, I am close to popular!!

My friend recently reconnected with her secret lover from High School. She was a mere innocent 16 years old. He was older and wiser (if you get my drift). He was only too happy to educate her in the ways of rock and roll (um, double entandre), life and (the pig)...heartbreak! He was a musician and she a artist. This is the stuff of a Molly Ringwald movie, folks!


They would find little places here and there to rendezvous. She would run her fingers through his long greasy 80's bubble gum rock hair and he would compliment her totally "in" fashion sense and her way cool Princess Diana "do". You see, they were never meant to be. She was the girl from the right side of the tracks and he was from the wrong side of the trailer park. But when they were together, they forgot for a moment that it would never work in a million years.

She refused to tell her friends and family that she was his number one groupie/fan. He longed to tell the world that he finally got the girl! Time passed and like a stranger in the night, he sunk back down into his own league.

Flash forward 20 years later. Facebook. A sudden reconnection. Fond memories. The catching up of the secret lovers. Talk of marriages, heartbreaks, new loves found, children...then the inevitable request for the exchange of pictures.

My friend laughed, giggled and said that perhaps she would get around to sending a picture (since she had just recently had her 5th baby that wasn't going to happen). He sent one immediately.



ummm, gross.


I think the only thing funnier than their high school romance is the fact that she was completely clueless about this picture. "Why would he send a picture of his stomach...that's so weird!" Maybe the best comment of all is her husband's, "Oh man! I need to start working out"

3 comments:

Teresa said...

This is funny. I thought for a moment you were talking about Al and Krista. That picture ALMOST made me barf, though.

Anonymous said...

How could you Mindy?! I told you this was a secret!! Monkey belly and I had something special!!!

PS Is that lint?

PSS Thanks for not posting the pictures of his bum.

Darci Jean the Dancing Queen Jr. said...

Yuck! I think I need to go see the bishop after seeing that picture.....it seriously made me throw-up in my mouth.....gag!