Thursday, October 9, 2008

Madge Doesn't Have Dishpan Hands Anymore!


I hate dirty dishes! Dirty dishes are disgusting. Everyone who knows me knows that I cannot abide dirty dishes...they make my sink smell like ketchup...WOOF! I am dry heaving just thinking about it! I DO NOT like dishes in my sink. Point made?


A couple of weeks ago it was the Big Guy's birthday. He hates paper goods just as much as I hate dirty dishes in my sink. What a conundrum! We hosted a small family get together to celebrate the birth of our great patriarch. In his honor, I usually try to use "real" dishes even though we are having a LARGE crowd. Since it was his birthday...of course we used "the good stuff". We had a large Mexican meal. Enchiladas, chili rellanos, rice, beans, guac, salsa...the whole 7 layer dip (that's Mexican for the whole nine yards....TOOT TOOT...that's me honking my own horn due to my fantastic cooking abilities!). 16+ people. Dinner and dessert and drinks and silverware and baking dishes and ice cream scoops and pie server things and....any way all of this equals...alot of dishes!


After the party broke up, the clean up began. Thank the Lord of the Rings that TT was considerate enough to rinse off the dishes (even though she only did it so she didn't have to socialize!). I loaded up the dishwasher (REAL good) and in my oh so modern homemaker way, pushed a few buttons and walked away with a sigh of relief.


"The big deal?" you ask? Weeeeelllll...when hot plastic fumes started spewing from the machine, me and Mr. Wonderful had some concerns. We turned it off...waited a while...and tried it again. To my chagrin...BOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOBAAAAAAAAAAAA...it decided to pick party night of all nights to call it quits! For crying out loud! It's not even 3 years old!


Thus started a week and a half Minky doing the dishes by hand! Mr. Wonderful was soooo good as to try to lighten my load by suggesting dinner out a couple of times (*SIGH* he's so cute!) but it didn't quite make the dishwashing go any better. He did do the dishes at night, but he also had the flu (you know me and...*GULP* G-E-R-M-S...YIKES)...so it was a LONG week and a half.


This morning Rex the dishwasher repair guy came over. This isn't really his name, it's just the imaginary name I made up for him since I don't know his real name. His real name is probably Super Hero...because that is what he is to me...Super Hero! What? A rose by any other name...


Rex proceeded to go to town! Teaching my dishwasher lessons that only a super hero could. He pulled on it. He tipped it over. He drilled it. He tore it a new one and replaced the old one! This was super! He did things to that dishwasher I only imagined I could do to it! In my mind I wished that my truck driver tongue lashing could've been enough to shape that baby up! Naughty dishwasher! But in the end he fixed it and fixed it good!


All for only $300. Rex may have fixed my dishwasher, but he broke my bank account! Maybe dish pan hands aren't so bad!

No comments: