Thursday, September 18, 2008

Bagoingk!

You know that sound? The one used in sword fighting movies when the sword is hurtling through the air and then it stabs into the wooden beam and shakes a little. "Bagggoooooiingk!" It usually has a wonderful whistling undertone. Then a really loud clean noise of it sticking into the wood. (Note to Kelly: I think we first heard this noise in Willow!)

This is not a sound you want to hear when mowing the lawn. This is not a sound you SHOULD hear when mowing the lawn.

In the dog days of summer the littles run around in next to nothing. They smell of sunblock and popsicles. They swim from morning to evening while I laze around on the couch. They bring out anything and everything they can find to play all sorts of imaginary games. Pillows, stuffed animals, poker chips (why for the love of the american flag do we have poker chips? Oh yea, strip poker! I jest!), forks, knives, spoons...you name it. They take out all of this junk play with it in the pool or the playhouse and then return most of it into the house. (After I yell and scream and threaten them within an inch of their lives).

Lovey is eight. She is smarter than me or Mr. Wonderful...sometimes even combined. She loves to use her imagination. She invents elaborate games and needs many props, which she, in turn, forgets to put away (because she is like the absent minded professer). This is all tying together...I swear!

Well, Mr. Wonderful was being the dutiful husband and father and mowing the yard. He prefers to keep on the lawns on a very regular basis. After one particualarily long week for the littles, he was mowing. Everything was being sucked up out of the grass and into the blades...and being spit out into Mr. Wonderful. He said the Poker Chips were the worst.

I stay inside laying on the couch, watching "Keeping up with the Kardashians" ( oh that Khloe) and eating bons bons. I occasionally mute the T.V. to make sure Mr. Wonderful isnt having an Uncle John moment (laying under the lawn mower, looking for his toes). On this particular day and moment, I chose to mute the TV right when I heard the mower whine a bit and then...the dreaded "Bagoooiiiiinngggk!" noise. This requires some looking into!

When I asked Mr. Wonderful what the commotion was, he politely steered my attention in the direction of the giant swingset/playouse thing. There glistening in the sunlight on the ground was a fork. A shiny pfaltsgraph fork. I had a look of confusion on my face and went to queary Mr. Wonderful further. Apparently the mower had sucked up, spit out and hurled the fork straight for Mr. Wonderful's HEAD! No wonder he looked a little green. Thank Uncle John's Toes that the fork missed his head and stuck into the wooden playset and then fell to the ground.

Baaaagggggooiiinnnggk!

2 comments:

Kelly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly said...

You are my sun, my moon, my starlit sky... without you I dwell in darkness.

Glad that Mr. Wonderful is okay.