Monday, April 27, 2009

Blessed

This weekend I visited my Grandpa. He is the only grandpa I have ever known. He is 95 and doing OK. As I prepared myself to visit him in his hospital room, I silently prayed that he would remember me and "my" story. Everytime that I can remember seeing him he would tell me the story of how he drove me and my mom home from the hospital when I was born. I rode in the back seat in a baby bed. He tells me how I never even made a "peep" and how proud he was to be driving me home.

When I walked into the hospital room to see grandpa, I said, "Hi Grampa! It's me, Mindy" (heart pounding...please remember, please remember)...and then, "Mind! Ol' Kid! Come here. I want to tell you about the day I drove the prettiest baby home from the hospital" and then he told me the story! Sure...right after that he had to hurry upstairs and get changed because the governer and the reporters were coming to give him his award, but hey...I got my story...maybe one last time.

And that started me thinking about my blessings. My neighbors daughter in law is dying of cancer. She has maybe a couple days left at most. She has 3 babies and is 27 years old. She wont raise her babies. I was sad for her because she is being cheated of her time with them. How can you say goodbye when you just barely got to say hello? But she has to. But I know that she feels blessed to have had them for any time.

I feel blessed for all of my blessings. My trials that ended up being bigger blessings are amazing. My blessings continue everyday. I'm not just talking material blessings, but my health, my kids, my family, my grandparents, my friends...my list goes on...and I am grateful.

4 comments:

The Pond's Lily Pad said...

It's so amazing how something like that puts our lives into perspective. I am so thankful for you and the blessings that you have brought to me!! Heart your face xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Teresa said...

The real question is, how much did he pay you this trip? You told me I could have half, so fess up! He just likes you 'cause grandma doesn't and you have red hair. No - I'm not jealous. Why'd you ask?!

Teresa said...

Oh yeah- And that was a really sweet post.

Stacia said...

Where are you? I want an update! :)